If you have had a minor operation on your toenail and either part or all of the nail plate has been removed, please follow these instructions.
- Return home and keep your feet elevated at all times while resting.
- Leave the bandage on. Please keep it dry and clean.
- In the morning, remove the bandage.
- Soak the toe in warm water for 10 minutes (add 1 tsp. of Epsom salts to water or add 2 capfuls of Betadine Solution to water).
- Dry your whole foot and between all toes thoroughly after each soak.
- Then apply a small amount of Silvadene cream/antibiotic cream to this area.
- Cover with a 1” Band-Aid. (Make sure that only the gauze portion comes in contact with the area from which the nail was removed.)
- Repeat steps 1-5 again in the evening.
You will need to soak your foot twice a day and continue with this until you see the doctor at your next visit. They will give you further instructions at that time. Please note: showers and baths are not the same as soaking your foot.
You may expect the following:
- There may be some bleeding through the dressing. This is no cause for alarm.
- Some soreness may be present when the anesthesia wears off. Two aspirins or similar tablets will relieve the discomfort.
- The toe will begin to drain slightly and will continue to do so for some time. This will stain the Band-Aid. The toe may appear to you to be infected, this is normal.
- The area of the toe just behind the cuticle may turn red and swell slightly.
- We will see you regularly until the area is healed.
- Please feel free to call the office if any problem appears.
BEST WISHES FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY